Thursday 12 February 2015

Damn electrics.... 12th February 2015

So a small update today, but tomorrow is parts ordering day so stay tuned!

 I meant to say, before we got the new loom, the starter button wasn't doing anything. Temporarily to try the starter and see if she would turn over, I bridged the terminals on the starter relay with a switch. This allowed me to try turning her over but still didn't start. I tested for spark on all the plugs and there was nothing. Knowing that the wiring loom was dodgy somewhere, I crossed my fingers and hoped that was causing the dead spark issue. When the loom arrived it was swapped straight in for the old one. This fixed the starter button problem and was turning over as normal. However we still had no spark! I went through everything I could to isolate the problem, but to no avail. I tested all the microswitches i.e sidestand switch, clutch switch etc, although if it was either of the microswitches it wouldn't turn over anyway. Next I tested the resistance on the primary windings, secondary windings, leads and plug caps. The primary winding on coil 1 was a tad low at 2.5ohms so out of precaution I picked up a set of tested coils and leads from ebay. Fitted yet still no spark, but the resistance measured about 3ohms, so at least that has improved. Next I checked power going to the coils, without the starter pressed there's 11.89v there, (new battery asap!) but with the starter pressed it drops to 6.93v! A test of the rear lights, shows 12.01v then a drop to 6.95v with the starter engaged... I think we have a short somewhere -_-

I proceeded by stripping some of the casing on the main loom to check for any fouled or broken wires, to find a load of wires, gaffer tape, SELLOTAPE!! and bad crimp connections. The advert for the loom said it had never had an alarm/immobiliser fitted, after examining the wires I uncovered I beg to differ! Tomorrows job is too trace the loom too, hopefully, find a short somewhere.

Had Gus in the workshop again today, slowly settling down. UNTIL HE FIND A COOLANT HOSE...

Back tomorrow after we have ordered some parts.
Night guys! -Max

No comments:

Post a Comment